Thursday, October 8, 2009

Routine or Tradition?


Dictionary.com defines tradition as a continuing pattern of culture beliefs or practices. As I go through my every day life, I think a lot about traditions. I wonder whether they truly should be called traditions or more practices, habit or routine.

Traditions are so wonderful. They are almost like our imprints from the past. As long as we can document memories and events, they can become tradition. Something that we can repeat and rejoice in every time it happens. Whether it's a certain time of the year, time of day or week.

Some of the moments that I believe to be tradition are times like taking naps every day. Is that a tradition or a routine? Even though it's so ordinary and mundane, it's a special time that helps my boys grow and stay healthy. Sleep is so important and it makes all the times while they are awake more special because they are happier and well rested.

This past week, I took my little guys to the Big E. They loved going and seeing the animals and the clowns and parades and going on the rides. They enjoyed watching the little shows and eating popcorn and treats. I wished so much that B could have come with us. But this was a memory I wanted to become a tradition for them. Whether it was one or both of us, they can count on us taking them to the Big E every year.

I also took them on a hay ride to go apple picking. They loved it so much. They were excited and had so much fun picking and eating the apples. I wish for this to be a tradition each year now too.

This is the time to establish traditions. When kids are young and impressionable. They can sense love and happiness a mile a way. They remember things better now than when they get older. I still hold some of the most fondest memories in my heart from when I was a little little girl. I remember sitting in a room with my Grandmother while she ironed clothes. I was listening to The Wizard of Oz on a record player. I can still feel a cool breeze coming from the window. As my Grandmother pulled in clothes through the window from the clothes line, I sat and watched. I watched her reel in my Grandfather's shirts and tee shirts. I can still smell the heat from the iron. My Grandmother hums and sings to me along with the record player. I can hear her voice as clear as if she were sitting right here with me now as I type this.

I want my kids to remember moments like that. I love that we go to my Mother's house almost every week, we spend time at my Father's cottage as much as we can and spend time with my in laws as well. I love that they form so many memories with me and B as well as all of their Grandparents. I hope they can hold on to those memories for a lifetime and remember what traditions are all about. Family. Happy times. Making new memories every time, every moment, every year. Not just the holidays, but normal every day moments.

Visiting Santa Claus every year with the Sicottes (no matter where he ends up this year), putting pajamas under the pillow in the morning, cuddle time, movie night, game night, noses-noses, beach days and snow days.

I love how Kevin goes into Colin's room every morning just to be with him. Kevin will go in to his room and sit on his rocking chair and just wait for him to wake up. They can play together so nicely and quietly sometimes and sometimes not so much. After nap time, Colin will also go into Kevin's room and play in his room until Kevin wakes up. I hope they always hold these memories in their hearts and they are always close brothers as they are today.

My heart is filled with joy and love. Every day I live is a memory; good or bad. Traditions are what keep us going to keep our love alive even after we are gone. To carry on our family even after only spirits are with us. So excuse me now, while I go wake my children up; a normal routine that has become a tradition I hope they always remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment