Sunday, September 27, 2009

Night #2 - My Own 'Staying in Bed Technique'


And so, we had our second night of working from the Supernanny handbook on getting our little bear to sleep. To sum it all up in the first line; it did not go very well.

Do you remember Gumby? That little piece of green clay and his horse. They could bend and curl up into little objects and twist and turn like ... well, like pieces of clay. Just picture that with a little boy. This child seems to think he's Gumby sometimes. But instead of clay, he is solid and strong; stronger than me sometimes.

Actually, I just remembered what someone told me once about when little kids are tired, they tend to go upside down. They will stand on their head or hang from the couch. I wonder what happens in their brain. Why does it feel so good to go upside down when you are tired? I guess I should try it sometime. Is it comforting? Does it make them feel less cranky? Or does all the blood rushing to their head make them extend their time awake. Does it give them that extra boost like a cup of coffee? I don't know, but whatever it is, my child certainly enjoys it. I can't decide what I think he enjoys more though; going upside down when I am trying to put him to bed or making me CRAZY when I am trying to put him to bed.

So with the CD player now back in his room, I refused to acknowledge it. I refused to give in to his entertainment craving of listening to a bedtime story on CD. Both children decided not to read a book and said they were too tired. But to be honest, I think Charlie actually only said that because Kyle said it. Kyle really did follow through with his plan. Being the big brother and almost five, he knows best. (or so he thinks) He brushed his teeth, went potty, washed his hands, went into his room, turned on his CD player and hopped right into bed. He was gitty and giggly and very well behaved.

Charlie, on the other hand, proceeded to lay on the floor, whining with that low hum that he usually does. There were tears and running nose stuff (i call stuffies) all over the place. He was a mess. Refusing to get into his bed, wanting a book, not wanting a book, wanting a stuffed animal, not wanting a stuffed animal and it goes on. "...A lot of things he'll say he wants will be contradictory. He'll want his shoes on and he'll want his shoes off - at the same time." (pg. 31, Supernanny, How to Get the Best from Your Children)

I have to say, I really gave it the ol' college try. With all my might, I tried not to give in to the CD story. It's Toy Story. It's the current favorite movie, characters and CD story. But it's major entertainment, none the less for this hour of the night. And I'm still dealing with his crying for a Woody Doll, Ham the Pig, Jessie and his cowboy hat....can't forget the cowboy hat!!! A haunting voice makes it's way into my thoughts; "A few comforters or soft toys can all help ease the separation of bedtime, but don't turn the bed into a playpen." (pg. 186, Supernanny, How to Get the Best from Your Children, How to Put Your Child to Bed). I obey the thought and stay firm.

"Don't get in the habit of waiting with your child until he falls asleep. If he's tired and you've been through the routine step by step, he should be fairly drowsy by now and will drift off easily." (pg. 186, Supernanny, How to Get the Best from Your Children, How to Put Your Child to Bed)

This mantra was going through my head like a record with a big scratch on it. As well as thinking "Well, obviously I didn't go through the "routine" step by step the right way....because this child does not show any indications of possibly drifting off easily in the near future." And then... it happened. I gave in. I put the CD story on! Yes, I know. I'm terrible. I saw Jo Frost in my mind glaring at me too with her nose down and disappointed eyes peering over her glasses. I visualized her watching the playback of this horrible scene of me reneging on her laptop the next day and saying to me "What were you thinking?" But exhaustion was setting in for me and I knew how much he needs sleep.

"Remember: you're not being mean. You are simply teaching your child how to get what all kids need, which is a good night's sleep. He doesn't know he needs to sleep, but you do. And you know best." (pg. 180, Supernanny, How to Get the Best from Your Children, Bedtime). And this is how I justified it.

An hour later, Charlie was still awake. The CD was on repeat and even if it wasn't, Charlie knows how to play the CD again. And again. And again. Not wanting to make a big deal out of it all and keep the drowsy theme going (yah, right), I did not take the CD player, but simply turned it off.

And then... I made another grave mistake against the Supernanny hand book. I stayed with him until he fell asleep. I sang him to sleep and sat by his bed. So to quote a bad cliche and make a pun, I made my bed, now I have to lay in it. Which brings us to night #3, which is taking place right now as I write this entry. Trying ever so hard to stick to a better routine, but still pissing off the spirit of the Supernanny, I am sure. I listen to little Charlite-Feet pitter pat over my head upstairs....Dammit!

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment